The Chaos Engine  

Go Back   The Chaos Engine > The Chaos Engine Forums > Front Page
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Photon
Lead Cake AI Programmer
One Of Us
Administrator

Photon has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura about
Thanked 1,862 Times in 424 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Two little things...

Firstly, its starting to look a lot like fishmen^H^H^H^H^H^H^HChaosmas, and as such (possibly due to moaning in the forums, possibly not) we have the traditional Chaosmas threads up in Irrelevant Corner, so get over there and start an unholy war nominating each other!

Secondly, its kinda fund raising time again - not to worry, we are safe for a bit yet, so if you are strapped for Chaosmas (and lets face it most of us are...) then fret not, we will fleece you rotten in the new year! Unfortunately, we appear to have upset Paypal, who have once AGAIN locked our account, and this time do not appear to want to talk to us about it. As a warning to other people in this situation, it would appear that in Paypal's eyes you are either an individual with a paypal account to buy or sell things, or you are a charity. Seeing as we don't really fit into the first definition, then we are a charity, and our account has been locked until we provide official documentation of being a charity. Which we can't, not being a charity and all...

I wouldn't mind, but this is like the third time this has happened, and now I either have to make an hour+ international phone call to try and sort this out, or dispatch even more emails into the ether to get ignored.

So, whilst Paypal do not want to take the rediculous amount of money they usually take off us, we have a bank account with BACS and IBAN numbers, so feel free to pester me for this (I don't think its the wisest plan to publish these on t'intertubes)

In the meantime, Happy Chaosmas!
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Photon For This Useful Post:
Educated Pork (22-12-2010), Ethereal (21-12-2010), Kemper Boyd (22-12-2010), PeterM (22-12-2010), plaf (22-12-2010), urgaffel (21-12-2010)
Old 21-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
InvisiblePaint
Advanced troll
One Of Us

InvisiblePaint is on a distinguished roadInvisiblePaint is on a distinguished road
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
As annoying as PayPal are, they are a convenient way to send money.

Is there any other service you could use? Google Checkout or something?

If there's any hardware you need, maybe you could set up an Amazon Wish List?
InvisiblePaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Photon
Lead Cake AI Programmer
One Of Us
Administrator

Photon has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura aboutPhoton has a spectacular aura about
Thanked 1,862 Times in 424 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm still chasing paypal, but I'm not going to spend an hour on hold paying premium rates to do so. So far though, they really do not want to speak to me, unfortunately. I'll keep you all informed, but there really may not be a resolution here, as they seem to think I am either a charity or some kind of money launderer (there is obviously no ground between the two)

The main need for money is for software and the cost of the hosting, so unfortunately I don't believe there is another method, unless someone knows otherwise.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
MrCranky
Bitter and Twisted
One Of Us

MrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to beholdMrCranky is a splendid one to behold
Thanked 6,067 Times in 2,078 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Oh, this isn't the same thing that the TortoiseSVN guy got hit with is it? Certain branches of Paypal governed by Singaporean financial rules which preclude gathering donations unless you're a charity?
Old 22-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Xajin
Manic Miner
One Of Us

Xajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond repute
Thanked 6,183 Times in 2,552 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 485 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I'm still chasing paypal, but I'm not going to spend an hour on hold paying premium rates to do so. So far though, they really do not want to speak to me, unfortunately. I'll keep you all informed, but there really may not be a resolution here, as they seem to think I am either a charity or some kind of money launderer (there is obviously no ground between the two)The main need for money is for software and the cost of the hosting, so unfortunately I don't believe there is another method, unless someone knows otherwise.
Completely unregulated 'bank' seizes money and doesn't want to let it go... I am shocked.

I've heard this happening a lot - you'd be better off saying you run the Chaos Engine as a members only site and the monies are membership fees and put on the site here that people should donate/pay $5,$10,$20,$50 amounts and tell Paypal they are different levels of membership. You'll probably find it much easier to explain this not-for-profit thing to the UK taxman.

Random values arriving in your account probably does look a little suspect.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Robert Swan
Gaming God
One Of Us

Robert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud ofRobert Swan has much to be proud of
Thanked 1,106 Times in 412 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 16 Times in 12 Posts
I've heard so many bad things about paypal over the past few months that I will never ever use it to receive money. Google checkout ftw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robert Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
lutas
raaagh
One Of Us

lutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished roadlutas is on a distinguished road
Thanked 1,241 Times in 389 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
I realise this doesn't help OP but for software/games I used to use ShareIt

http://www.shareit.com/
lutas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Brian Beuken
Boring Old Fart
One Of Us

Location: Breda, Holland, where I get to teach all the bad habits I picked up to young impressionable minds.
Brian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Beuken has a reputation beyond repute
Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,274 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 192 Times in 132 Posts
Send me the bank details Photon, I'll stick 20p in the meter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brian Beuken is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: