The Chaos Engine  

Go Back   The Chaos Engine > The Games Industry > I wanna be a Game Artist!
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
Marcel
Texture fetishist
One Of Us

Marcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enoughMarcel will become famous soon enough
Thanked 1,143 Times in 420 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
+ have access to a bunch of dirty concrete and metal plate photos.
That's where I come in
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
Nokill
Troll
Not From Round Here

Nokill is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I always prefer an artist who can draw, or at least have *some* actual artistic ability. A good eye, good taste and good ideas are most important to me.
Yea be creative and draw crazy things that can fit the game idea.
I had lots of times that I looked at concepts and tough to myself what the hell! why is that in there it looks great and got someone to work that out while in the start it was not really a idea to put that in.
Those people add a lot in ideas.

Also basically use anything you need to get best results like programs or tools.
I don't think people should be limited in there work but I guess some company's don't think alike.
Nokill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Eric Chadwick
One Of Them
One Of Us

Eric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished roadEric Chadwick is on a distinguished road
Thanked 5,599 Times in 1,141 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Can you draw with your mouse? If you have samples of art you've drawn, sketches, concepts, even life drawings, that's helpful to judge your artistic eye, and your ability to render it.

Drawing is an important skill for an artist, though not essential to get a job, as people have posted. I've hired a few artists who weren't solid draughtsmen, just chicken-scratchers. But they had awesome modeling or animation skills. However I won't hire someone for a texturing or concepting position unless they can draw well.

Drawing is good for every art position though, it does tend to speed things up communication-wise, way faster than modeling something out. Plus it refines your ability to see, an essential art skill.

In the end your lead won't care how the art gets into the game, as long as you can fit into the studio's pipeline without much hassle, and produce your work at a decent rate.
Eric Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #19
Simplepop
Lurker
Not From Round Here

Simplepop is on a distinguished road
Drawing can be a great way to generate ideas very quickly.

Opening software packages and trying to create artwork streight off...will probabaly always take 10 hours longer, Mostly because youve got all the tools to make it look awesome for your client.

But its good to have lots of pictures to refrence, you can also very quickly change ideas. The rubber is your phsycial Ctrl+Z
Simplepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
c780162
Lurker
Not From Round Here

c780162 is on a distinguished road
reading some of these replies it sounds strange that you can be an artist in the industry without drawing skills really but i guess it's possible as long as you have vision and can produce the stuff the client wants.

i can't imagine myself trying to do arty stuff without my wacom though... but i must say i've neglected pencil and paper for a long while now.
c780162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #21
Puppy
I make games
One Of Us

Puppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond reputePuppy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,822 Posts
Groans: 118
Groaned at 130 Times in 91 Posts
You can do anything if you believe in yourself!!!

(sorry, that's all I got)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Betty Boop Bop out now:

Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
sponge
jaded old cunt
One Of Us

sponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished road
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
reading some of these replies it sounds strange that you can be an artist in the industry without drawing skills really but i guess it's possible as long as you have vision and can produce the stuff the client wants.

I can't imagine myself trying to do arty stuff without my wacom though... but i must say i've neglected pencil and paper for a long while now.
It's a good baseline skill that speaks a lot about the applicant. Most people of an artistic bent will have drawn and been creative from an early age. A lot of other people have picked up software later on in life and taught themselves the craft of 'making stuff'. They were inspired by video games and wanted to make video games, often don't have a creative bone in their body but will do really competent versions of what they've already seen a million times before.

'Making stuff' is fine. There are companies that want stuff made. They want park benches with a photograph of a park bench UV mapped on it. If that turns you on, go for it.

But, if you're a 'stuff maker' rather than an artist, you'll probably still be a 'stuff maker' cranking out barrels and trees with your arse pressing against the glass ceiling in ten years time. Then, the guy who had the baseline drawing, painting and artistic sensibilities is now the art director running the show.

Not to say that not drawing always equates to not being creative. It's all just different tools. But, I find that truly creative people can't help but make cool stuff out of anything they can get their hands on. They always return to the pencil, the simplest tool in which they expressed themselves as a kid. They spend a lot of time away from the mouse and wacom.

Last edited by sponge : 18-03-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Gramma, Grandma!
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #23
juelpatwary
Lurker
Not From Round Here

juelpatwary is on a distinguished road
I quite enjoy classical pencil and paper drawings, although i have a Graphics Tablet - I don't use it much, i just prefer, idk, just pencil and paper. It's much more easier i think
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
juelpatwary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
Sabotander
Micropayment Deathbot
One Of Us

Sabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really niceSabotander is just really nice
Thanked 2,182 Times in 877 Posts
Groans: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
I quite enjoy classical pencil and paper drawings, although i have a Graphics Tablet - I don't use it much, i just prefer, idk, just pencil and paper. It's much more easier i think
Yeah, but then you reach for CTRL-Z...

...and bacon
Sabotander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #25
juelpatwary
Lurker
Not From Round Here

juelpatwary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, but then you reach for CTRL-Z...
That made me lol, and yeah sometimes it is annoying when you do something wrong, especially like a whole body pose haha, i guess it's just personnal preference.
juelpatwary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #26
revenge of c64
Grabthar's hammer
One Of Us

revenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond reputerevenge of c64 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanked 2,452 Times in 899 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 27 Times in 12 Posts
I think screwups are part of the charm in the original drawings, plus lack of undo will force you to draw better. You can still fix them up in photoshop if you want to.

I am trying to keep up my skills by doodling on a pad while having a break. Maybe I'll post my doodlings to blog later, just to torment you with my rubbish..

revenge of c64 is offline   Reply With Quote