The Chaos Engine  

Go Back   The Chaos Engine > The Games Industry > I wanna be a Game Artist!
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
HotWheelz
Lurker
Not From Round Here

HotWheelz is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actual drawing

Hi, I was wondering how much pencil-to-paper drawing is required as a game artist. The thing is, I'm handicapped and can't physically draw, I can only use a mouse.
HotWheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Chess Mate
Gaming God
One Of Us

Location: Back in the UK for a couple of years (sometimes Melbourne, Australia)
Chess Mate is on a distinguished roadChess Mate is on a distinguished roadChess Mate is on a distinguished roadChess Mate is on a distinguished roadChess Mate is on a distinguished roadChess Mate is on a distinguished road
Groans: 3
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Depending on the type of game you'd be working on and the type of games artist you want to be would depend on how much pencil-to-paper artwork would be needed. In big studios there are usually lots of different types of artist, and some 3D guys never do sketching as the studio hire professional illustrators to prepare concept work. For smaller studios you're more likely to do a bit of everything and may require some sketching. In the days before Wacom tablets I used to do a lot of 2D sketching with a mouse however - and got quite good too. It's not ideal but as long as you can translate an idea across to a designer/coder/producer or whoever then you'll do fine. All the best.
Chess Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Jimmy Thicker
Ross Kemp on Gangs
One Of Us

Jimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the roughJimmy Thicker is a jewel in the rough
Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,097 Posts
Groans: 226
Groaned at 90 Times in 48 Posts
I would say that in my many years in the games industry I have never seen an artist pick up a pencil. Some have pencils on their desks so I might be looking at the wrong times. But I can't recall seeing much sketched concept stuff either (although we have outsourced for manually drawn concept work).

One guy recently told me he tried to do some watercolour work at the weekend but got very angry at the lack of 'undo'.

So what I'm saying is I doubt it's a problem at all.
Jimmy Thicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Bobz
Peter Molyneux
One Of Us

Bobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of lightBobz is a glorious beacon of light
Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,294 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 29 Times in 27 Posts
We're a proper artist bloke to do most sketching, but we've lee way to do what will fit with a spec we're given, junior artists have to sketch a rough idea, mostly to show some of the details they plan on doing, and these are really rough, but some people also use sketcher and knock a scribble out on the puter which works just as well.

Being able to draw is always handy, but it's not a necessity as long as you can communicate your ideas coherently....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mutts nuts.
Bobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
HotWheelz
Lurker
Not From Round Here

HotWheelz is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Thanks all.
HotWheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
sillylittlefreak
Hardcore Gamer
One Of Us

sillylittlefreak is on a distinguished road
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Hi, I was wondering how much pencil-to-paper drawing is required as a game artist. The thing is, I'm handicapped and can't physically draw, I can only use a mouse.
Shouldn't you be busy getting your sister to pour scotch down your feeding tube?

Nice to see you here. There's a lot of good info scattered about.

Mods: this kid is eager to learn and pretty damn sharp. I'm trying to get him and internship at my studio. PM me for details.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
YourMumsLesbianLover
Gaming God
One Of Us

YourMumsLesbianLover is on a distinguished roadYourMumsLesbianLover is on a distinguished road
Groans: 5
Drawing with a pencil or tablet isn't really neccessary in many positions, though I think you'd have a lot of trouble if you wanted to be a concept artist. Of course, if you can draw well with a mouse I doubt it matters at all.

I have been in the games industry nearly 5 years now, and only recently have I done any drawing other than really rough little sketches to visualise what I am going to make in 3d or for a texture. For the last few months I've just been doing 2d stuff, so I've had to do a lot of neat drawing with a tablet, and a lot of sketches on paper. However, the lead artist at my company mostly works in 3d and when using photoshop draws with the mouse and tends to use a lot of filters to get stuff made, which nobody ever complains about.

I'm sure you'll be fine
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YourMumsLesbianLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Mouseshadow
Mei and the Kittenbus.
One Of Us

Location: Exactly where I want to be. Give or take 6000 miles.
Mouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud of
Thanked 5,851 Times in 2,187 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 41 Times in 34 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it'd be a barrier to 90% of the art related positions.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
plaf
Monkey Donkey
One Of Us

plaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to behold
Thanked 6,743 Times in 1,976 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 218 Times in 192 Posts
it *might* become relevant if you were to do texturing, concept art or such (or anything that would require you to use a wacom tablet), but most artists I've worked with have used mice.

Can I ask what the nature of your disability is?
plaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Xajin
Manic Miner
One Of Us

Xajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond reputeXajin has a reputation beyond repute
Thanked 6,128 Times in 2,523 Posts
Groans: 227
Groaned at 464 Times in 217 Posts
Quote:
it *might* become relevant if you were to do texturing, concept art or such (or anything that would require you to use a wacom tablet), but most artists I've worked with only ever use google or a texture archive for their textures.
Fixed that up for ya...
Xajin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xajin For This Useful Post:
haydxn (20-02-2010)
Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
FunkyMonkey
Artist
One Of Us

FunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeFunkyMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Thanked 2,471 Times in 860 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 102 Times in 59 Posts
sheeeeiiiiiit - he's onto us!
FunkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
plaf
Monkey Donkey
One Of Us

plaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to beholdplaf is a splendid one to behold
Thanked 6,743 Times in 1,976 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 218 Times in 192 Posts
whatever gets the job done, deeeewd. There's nothing I'd rather do than paint my own textures all day long, but it just takes to effing long, and unless it's required by the style of the game, what's the point.
plaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #13
sponge
jaded old cunt
One Of Us

sponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished road
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I always prefer an artist who can draw, or at least have *some* actual artistic ability. A good eye, good taste and good ideas are most important to me.

I've been at plenty of companies over the years where artists just don't have a good eye and tend to dazzle with a load of garish flashy detail, but the actual foundations are all wrong. There's a shocking number of maya and photo texture manipulator artists in the games industry who are quite frankly shite, but, bums in seats, eh?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'd tell you to learn about painting, concentrating on dividing space up into nice compositions and lots and lots of colour theory. Concentrate on these whilst building your own style and ideas.

sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #14
Mouseshadow
Mei and the Kittenbus.
One Of Us

Location: Exactly where I want to be. Give or take 6000 miles.
Mouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud ofMouseshadow has much to be proud of
Thanked 5,851 Times in 2,187 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 41 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
I've been at plenty of companies over the years where artists just don't have a good eye and tend to dazzle with a load of garish flashy detail, but the actual foundations are all wrong. There's a shocking number of maya and photo texture manipulator artists in the games industry who are quite frankly shite, but, bums in seats, eh?
True, but that's also why I said it generally isn't a barrier. It won't stop you getting work.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
sponge
jaded old cunt
One Of Us

sponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished roadsponge is on a distinguished road
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
True, but that's also why I said it generally isn't a barrier. It won't stop you getting work.

Yeah, if we're honest, to get in the games industry as an artist, you just need to have learnt how to use Photoshop and Maya + have access to a bunch of dirty concrete and metal plate photos.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sponge For This Useful Post:
haowan (03-03-2010), hiphop (02-03-2010), Periscolon (07-03-2010)