The Chaos Engine  

Go Back   The Chaos Engine > The Games Industry > HOW TO JOIN
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
toaplan
Lurker
Not From Round Here

toaplan is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever more producers

Where do they come from and what do they do? More field studies necessary.
toaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Unsurprised Jack
Industry God
One Of Us

Unsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really niceUnsurprised Jack is just really nice
Thanked 1,981 Times in 748 Posts
Groans: 21
Groaned at 32 Times in 20 Posts
Re: Ever more producers

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaplan
Where do they come from and what do they do? More field studies necessary.
Give me an anesthetist, a metal harness and a few days in a lab and I can at least tell you what they see.
Unsurprised Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unsurprised Jack For This Useful Post:
revenge of c64 (09-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
baboon1972
Troll
One Of Us

baboon1972 is on a distinguished road
now now children.
Funnily enough I had a conversation with a guy recently about the various "sections" of development and he mentioned that Production and QA were the 2 "disciplines" that were regarded as superfluous to the development process.
I say to you:
You give me a dev team with no competent producer because apparantly we are not really that necessary.
I'll give you a game that is over budget, late, probably full of great features but more than likely a rambling mess, and a bunch of artists and programmers that haven't the first clue about what anybody else in the team is doing.

You give me a dev team with no QA because they are just a bunch of annoying people who constantly point out what is wrong with your precious baby, not that that is their job or anything. (Hey Prof Shminky...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
I'll give you a game that is DEFINATELY full of bugs and is probably utterly unplayable except on the latest NASA super computer or a console dev kit.

Bring it on.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to baboon1972 For This Useful Post:
Evestay (09-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Wolf
Hardcore Gamer
One Of Us

Wolf is on a distinguished roadWolf is on a distinguished roadWolf is on a distinguished road
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
You give me a dev team with no competent producer because apparantly we are not really that necessary.
I'll give you a game that is over budget, late, probably full of great features but more than likely a rambling mess, and a bunch of artists and programmers that haven't the first clue about what anybody else in the team is doing.
COMPETENT is the key word here!

In incompetent Producer will do way more damage than not having one on the team at all. Sadly there's still too many of them in the industry and all too many of them rise to the top
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolf For This Useful Post:
BigManBob (23-06-2007), Bitterman (18-01-2011), khaerne (29-06-2011), Megazorb (28-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Prof. Shminky
Truth Wrangler
Administrator

Prof. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond reputeProf. Shminky has a reputation beyond repute
Thanked 5,967 Times in 1,850 Posts
Groans: 39
Groaned at 98 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
(Hey Prof Shminky...
)
Hey dude...

Funnily enough, I was chatting to my brother about something QA-related this morning. He's a programmer for a company who have some major government contracts and they're being told off because what they have produced so far is basically unworkable and full of issues.

Guess what... they don't have a dedicated QA team.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Sartori
Industry Legend
One Of Us

Sartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished roadSartori is on a distinguished road
Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,329 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 52 Times in 43 Posts
Of course, you get some producers whose only apparent responsibility is ordering in the pizza when the coders are working late. But good producers are definitely useful people to have around!
Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
molesworth
the curse of st custards
One Of Us

molesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of lightmolesworth is a glorious beacon of light
Thanked 1,582 Times in 651 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Funnily enough, I was chatting to my brother about something QA-related this morning. He's a programmer for a company who have some major government contracts and they're being told off because what they have produced so far is basically unworkable and full of issues.

Guess what... they don't have a dedicated QA team.
That's a bit surprising. I worked on a lot of government contracts (in a previous job) and we wouldn't have passed even the first checks on the bids if we hadn't included comprehensive QA plans as part of them. The departments we were dealing with expected as much time to be spent in testing as in development...
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
baboon1972
Troll
One Of Us

baboon1972 is on a distinguished road
repost
Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
CaptainFuture
Man of Tomorrow
One Of Us

CaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished roadCaptainFuture is on a distinguished road
Thanked 1,823 Times in 744 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
A competent producer might as well save your game from a disaster, I wouldn't work without one. Unfortunately most companies recruit producers from QA, and there is no training in place to make sure they know what they're doing.
(Nothing against QA, the high quality of my games was only possible because of QA testing them day and night.)
CaptainFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainFuture For This Useful Post:
Bitterman (18-01-2011)
Old 08-05-2007, 01:24 AM   #10
RustyKnight
Lurker
One Of Us

RustyKnight is on a distinguished road
* points to Enter the Matrix *